Does any of you know a way to have CVE alerts in Slack?

Nix is shit. It just doesn't work as a build system for any project larger than hello world. And its users somehow resemble a weird cult that is trying to turn the whole world into Nix.

Fuck this shit.

What VSCode extension would you guys recommend for Erlang and Elixir development?

Wait, does VSCode really not support workspaces with more than one programming language involved? Or am I stupid?

Asked a question in on freenode about A.
Was told I don't need A, I need A+B+C+D+E all at once.


Pick your poison, guys

@Meeper no, actually, there's a LOT of them, just not the kind the FSF claims
GPL is REALLY good in the following cases:

1. your product is not the code, but the things you make with the code (like tensorflow and co) - releasing the code under the (A)GPL means you get free training for future job applicants, as well as a PR boost. this doesn't benefit the competition as much because you're already bigger than them and thus can do better things using the code. This is the facebook/google/etc model.
2. You want to sell a proprietary version of the code (basically the reverse of the sqlite model). This puts you at an advantage over all forks because they (not being the copyright holders) cannot do whatever they please, and thus no one can make a financial/selling-successful fork. This is what happens with stuff like java, mysql, etc.

the GPL is not very good, however, at making companies contribute back useful code to you (it's a bit more complicated, and the writeup is currently at 9k words)

daily reminder that decentralized ≠ “respects users' privacy”

*screams in horror*

I noticed that some tests in our project don't work when run manually from terminal but work fine in CI. After digging, I found that our nix code runs sed over those tests in order to fix input data file paths.

Did anyone do any research around MLS (Message Layer Security)?

It would be awesome to replace email protocols with something based on this, but the proposal hasn't been moving anywhere for the past two years. I'm wondering whether it will gain any traction at all.

There is an LSP server for bash. It's implemented in TypeScript. That's all I have to say for today.

Sorry for not posting here for a while. I'm kinda busy on Stereophonic. Feel free to follow me there, although there isn't much functional programming or programming at all involved.


@mdallastella ohey!
Is there a block list used here on It seems that avatars aren't properly federated, at least from users.

What do you prefer?

Basically, every time I restart the LSP server, I can just go out and make a coffee, because emacs isn't gonna respond for the next few minutes. Seriously, this is some unholy disgrace.

Hello people who follow me or intersect with me in some way,

Please let me know of anyone you follow in one of my other major languages: français, italiano, Deutsch. I don't get enough of them here, though I like my network of people and what you all discuss.

Daily reminder that emacs is crap.

I updated some fonts and my emacs started hanging on almost every GUI operation. Remembering the ancient wisdom that "when in doubt and don't know what's going on, use strace", I found that emacs basically goes into a font checking loop every time I hit a button. No, it doesn't even try to open that font. Just checks that it is there. Removing the font fixed the issue, but I really have to ask.


Show older
Functional Café

The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!