economics? Show more
I'd actually like to propose a principle, to estimate the value of economic theories:
• If it isn't conceptually clear, how this may be applied to machines, instead of humans, it's just bullshit.
aphorism Show more
Never demand explanation.
Never demand understanding.
aphorism Show more
Poverty doesn't affect the quantity of human population, but the quality.
« Deux chercheurs ont développé une nouvelle méthode pour multiplier les très grands nombres. Une avancée potentiellement historique pour l’#informatique. »
AMD Immune to Crippling MDS Vulnerabilities at https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-mds-vulnerability-immune-intel,39367.html - discuss at https://freepo.st/freepost.cgi/post/som666heql #freepost
RISC-V from scratch 2: Hardware layouts, linker scripts, and C runtimes at https://twilco.github.io/riscv-from-scratch/2019/04/27/riscv-from-scratch-2.html - discuss at https://freepo.st/freepost.cgi/post/69ytklo7um #freepost
[en] (un)translatable joke/pun/aphorism Show more
The key question in mathematics: isn't it all the same.
[ru] untranslatable joke/pun/aphorism Show more
Ключевой вопрос математики: не всё ли равно.
careers, academia Show more
People choose the career in science/academia
• either if they have substantially limited other options (e.g. health issues)
• or if they have a unique advantages for it (rich and/or famous relatives)
Both factors may as motivate as hold back
• in the former, because everything is more difficult, including study
• in the latter, because the expectations are also set much higher
hot programming take Show more
Here's the thing, I do come from a background in trades and still consider myself to be a craftsman. I take a great deal of pride in my work now as I did then.
It's my desire to produce the best possible outcome I can. Science is a part of this, but ethics and attitude are moreso. Call me an engineer, call me an impostor. At the end of the day if I've done good work, this is all that matters.
@Canageek @tomasino @gemlog @jbob @amiloradovsky @dankwraith
in-joke Show more
TIL: revolution manifolds
🎉 #FirstToot 🎉
#CodiMD is a real-time, multi-platform collaborative markdown editor that can be used on desktop, tablet, or mobile!
There's a night mode to save your eyes as well as fine-grained permissions so you can decide how much access (if any) others have to your notes 😉
Check out our demo below and take a look at the rest of the amazing features!
Porting NetBSD to the RISC-V at https://www.bsdcan.org/2019/schedule/events/1039.en.html - discuss at https://freepo.st/freepost.cgi/post/ol7ezsii9z #freepost
Coq, associativity of vectors Show more
@amiloradovsky @abs I think the takeaway message is that without Axiom K these things are taken for granted: We prove once that these things are equal and then they are exactly equal, also on type level. Not so in #Coq & #Agda where we can't automatically eliminate equality proofs and need to pattern match on the proof in order to bring the equality into the context. We could of course activate Axiom K, but then #HoTT would be impossible.
- I'm not sure what the future holds below 7nm, because even at 22nm you are having to deal with quantum tunneling. It only gets worse the smaller you get.
- At the end of the day it has to do with transistor density. The future may be in 3d-stacked die, where transistor density isn't measured in m^2 anymore, but m^3. But that has it's own set of problems, not the least of which is heat dissipation
functional.cafe is an instance for people interested in functional programming and languages.